Friday, March 20, 2009

And now for Something Completely Different

That is how my favorite show from the 70's started: And now for something completely different.

And this has nothing to do with Monty Python's Flying Circus.

But it is completely different from what I usually write about.

This is about basketball.

Kansas played North Dakota State today in the NCAA tournament in Minneapolis. This was the first time that NDSU made the tournament. Ever. First year of eligibility.

So in spite of the fact that my wife got her Masters at KU, I dug out my NDSU t-shirt and Bison hoodie to wear today here in the heart of Jayhawk country. I got the t-shirt when our daughter thought it might be good to attend college there. I think the hoodie came from Grandpa and Grandma for Christmas one year.

I don't think that most people recognized the colors or the logo. But that is OK. I still felt good about supporting the Bison.

And we also realized that our son Dan has played basketball against the starting center for KU: Cole Aldrich. This was back in eighth grade when Dan's team went to the national Lutheran school tournament in Valparaiso Indiana. They played a team from Bloomington, MN that had several kids over 6 foot tall. One was Cole who was 6'8" at the time. As an eighth grader. He's now 6'11" as a Sophomore in college.

I think Dan was around 5'4" at the time.

Dan's team lost.

But it is interesting in any event.

And one of the coaches on Cole's team was Randy Brewer who played for the University of Minnesota when I was going to school there. Same time as Kevin McHale.

So tomorrow it will be time for something completely different (from this at least).

And it was good to see NDSU put up a good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment