Saturday, November 28, 2009

Black Friday

I have been trying to get the dog out for a walk early every morning during the week. This means that I leave the house around 445. On both Thanksgiving day and Black Friday, I made it out the door right around that time.

Thanksgiving Day was quiet. Not a lot of traffic out. A stark contrast from most days when delivery vans are making early morning deliveries and the first shift crew is showing up at the dry cleaning plant over in the industrial area down the road.

On Friday there was a steady stream of traffic heading south on the main drag a block from the house. At 504 AM (yes, I checked the time) Nikki (our aging beagledor) and I got near the twenty four hour Walmart that we are blessed to have a half mile from the house.

The parking lot was full. Cars and pick up trucks were circling the lot looking for parking spots. Almost like sharks on a feeding frenzy seeking their prey. The was the most full that I have ever seen the parking lot.

Stark contrast with the day before when the lot was almost empty at that time.

And a stark contrast from the day before when we give thanks for all the things that our Creator has blessed us with.

I have to be honest. I have gone out to get the early deals on Black Friday exactly once. And I may again.

But as I was walking Nikki in the clear, cold, early morning air with the stars shinging, I came to realize that there is little that I need. I have a lot of wants but few things that I need (a 12 gauge short barreled shotgun (long story for another post) and a cell phone that receives email are the only things that come to mind right now).

Please note that it is OK with me if you were one of the people lining up to get the bargains. That is your decision. And in some cases it is a great way to stretch the holiday dollar for gifts.

My son and I did hit four stores later in the morning, including that same Walmart, when some semblance of order (and parking spots) had returned. And he got some great deals on some things he wanted.

But I sure enjoyed my early morning walk...

No comments:

Post a Comment