Monday, January 17, 2011

Coyotes

I've seen coyotes around here over the years.

There was one that came up out of a creek a few miles north of here.
I've seen them in various fields as we've driven on country roads usually skulking along a tree or brush line.

And I've seen them on the road as roadkill.

A couple of years ago we were camping up in Nebraska and I heard a pack howling at night. It was awesome to hear them calling. I asked at the campground office the next day and the staff said that there were two packs in and near the park.

The other night I was having some trouble sleeping. And around 123o in the morning, I heard the distinctive sound of a coyote howling. It was quickly joined by another and then another. In the end there were at least four all howling.

It sounded like it was right behind us but I know it was further away. My wife slept through it. The dog slept through it.

And I was blessed to hear the call. It was a reminder that the wild is not very far away, even though I may try to push it away.

And I slept well after that...

No comments:

Post a Comment