Monday, March 1, 2010

Rejected

I recently went in to donate blood.

I went in early on a Saturday right when they opened. This was so that I would be able to donate early and then make it to a gun show before the crowds hit.

Things went pretty normal. Signed in. Hung the number outside the screening room, Closed the door. Read the instructions. Answered the questions. Opened the door. Reviewed the questions with the reviewer: Yes, I served in the military (not in Europe). Yes, I have been to Africa (Somalia, 1982), Yes, I have been out of the country in the last three years (Mexico, March 2007).

Then I got to the physical check. Arms OK, (no needle tracks). Temperature 97.8 (must be my cold, cold heart). And then the new automated blood pressure/heart rate machine with instructions not to move or talk during the test. Blood pressure a nice 118/70. Pulse 44.

Minimum to donate is 50. Except if you are a runner. Then it is 46.

The screener went out the door to talk with the supervisor.

So two more tests with instructions to “stress out”. Blood pressure rose each time. Pulse the second time: 44. Pulse the third time: 43.

Rejected.

I understand the reason. They are worried about slow donations and people fainting. But I have never had any problems with that.

And I don’t blame the screeners and people at the local office who were only following the ironclad criteria laid down by the Main Center of the Community Blood Services. Because I know from previous conversations that they get hammered by the people in quality control if they mess up in any way on the paperwork.

And I can go back and try to donate the next day, although it will be at least a week.

So now I have a letter to write to the Main Center. And I have to point out that if comes down to a choice between my health and donating blood, it will be my health. For it is my health that allows me to donate blood in the first place (I don't want to give the impression that I am bragging for I realize that I have been blessed by good genes).

This is not really a big deal. I have been more amused by this than anything else. The fact that I am “too healthy” to donate is a weird idea.

But it has made me think: How many times have I rejected someone because of my ironclad criteria without regard for the circumstances of the individual?

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You are much healthier than me, Eric, and I have never been rejected. And I have given blood/platelets over 200 times. I know they are FDA regulated and the procedures spelled out in the quality control manual are very detailed and they are required to follow them. FDA audits are not fun and if there are any findings of not following the procedures they have to go though a lot of paperwork and and more detailed auditing of their records. Working for a company that is registerd with the FDA I understand what happens, but I do agree that being so black and white on procedures sometimes causes a sitiation where thay are losing out on a donation they are so desparate to get at times. Good luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, for many years I donated blood - I think I gave over 14 gallons in all. Until a year ago I started taking some medication that made me ineligible. Too bad. I always thought it was a form of stewardship, since when someone needs blood, the best cherry juice or ketchup in town won't do as a substitute. I even saw it in a spiritual way - just as Christ's blood was the only means for addressing our sins, healthy human blood helps in addressing physical ills. Our local blood bank even had a slogan, "Give the gift of life." Hope you have another opportunity to give - so many people, even though they could, choose not to do so.

    ReplyDelete