Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tourists in Egypt

As I write this the situation in Egypt is still up in the air.

Mubarak is still in power and the protests continue although there seems to be signs of protest fatigue after two weeks of protests. The protesters are growing tired.

I have watched as much of the news as I can handle. I have read as much of the newspapers and blogs coming out as I can stomach.

One image has stood out to me. About a week ago, I was watching the NBC Nightly News. The report was about how many museums and tourist attractions were closed.

Two tourists were standing outside of the pyramids. I am not sure whether or not they were Americans. I thought they spoke English with a slight accent that I couldn't quite place.

They were told that the pyramids were closed and that they should be open tomorrow. the couple expressed disappointment and said "What can you do? I guess we'll just have to come back tomorrow."

My thought as to what you can do: Get out! The country is crumbling around you and you want to see the pyramids? I realize that this could be a once in a lifetime trip, but you do not want it to be the last of your lifetime.

I guess the thing that irked me the most was that they seemed totally clueless as to what is going on around them.

And I hope that I am never that clueless...

No comments:

Post a Comment