Monday, February 21, 2011

Two Words

And this time I mean it: two words.

Yesterday was a warm day about 65. Bit warm for middle of February. Gray and overcast. Really windy out of the SSE at 25 with gusts up to 40.

I went out for a nice middle length run of 6.5 miles. I have a nice out and back course laid out that runs roughly north south. Going out there is a nice downhill from about mile 2.25 to the turn around point at 3.25 miles. And with the wind from behind you can really fly down the hill.

Problem is: what goes down must come up (when you are running that is).

So yesterday I reached the turn around point and headed for home into the teeth of the wind. Uphill. Wasn't pleasant. It was a struggle. And over the last quarter mile is a 50 foot rise. I wasn't feeling real good as I neared the top.

As I neared the top of the hill there was an older guy out for a walk. He was pushing his granddaughter (at least I think it was his granddaughter, she was dressed in pink) in a stroller. And he had one of those ankle biter rat dogs on a leash. I moved off the path to give him room to get by.

I kind of croaked out my standard greeting to those I pass: "Morning." It was morning after all.

And then he said the two words. It took me a couple of seconds for them to soak through my somewhat addled brain and register.

Those words were: "Looking good".

And they were exactly what I needed to hear. They carried me through the rest of the run home. Finished strong. I am grateful for those words of encouragement even if I am fairly certain the guy is a liar.

I am certain that I would have made the run home without hearing those two words. But they sure helped even if it was to get me off of how crummy I was feeling for a bit and get me back on what I enjoy about running.

As I finished my run I thought of how often as Christians we miss opportunities to encourage each other. Too often we rejoice over other people's discomfort and problems when we should be praying for them and encouraging them. Too often we pass by someone struggling and barely notice them.

The guy on the hill didn't have to say anything. I sure didn't recognize him. He could have just given me that half head nod guys usually give each other.

But he didn't...

No comments:

Post a Comment