Sunday, April 19, 2009

Yard

Last fall, I got tired of the weeds and bare spots in my yard. So I started following the instructions from a local lawn and garden center on taking care of the lawn.

I verticut the lawn, reseeded it, fertilized it and put down lime. I put winterizer down at the right time. I sharpened the mower blade. I made sure the leaves were up over winter. I put down preemergent and fertilizer at the right time. I sprayed for broad leaf weeds at the suggested time.

I even edged the lawn.

So by following the instructions, my lawn looks pretty good. Lush and dark green.

My yard isn't perfect though. Still have a pile of brush out back that I need to take care of in the corner of the yard. And there are still weeds and patches of spurge and henbit that haven't died off yet. And I know that the grubs are lurking and I will have to take care of them when the time is right.

I'm just reminded of how life is like my lawn. Far stretch you say?

You see: we have instructions. God wrote a book: the Bible. I can go my own way and try and do things the way I want to and ignore things and my life will get weedy and bare and parts will be neglected. Or I can follow the instructions and see dramatic improvement in a short time.

And when the time is right I will have to take care of that messy brush pile back in the corner and those pesky grubs lurking below the surface.

Going to take some effort and a several seasons to get the mess cleaned up...

1 comment:

  1. Like the analogy. God sends the rain on all, but if we haven't followed the instructions the rain doesn't produce the growth we expect. If we have done the work, the rain produces rapid growth.

    ReplyDelete