Saturday, February 7, 2009

Save a Life

I saved a life today. More likely it was at least two lives and maybe three.

I donated blood. So I saved a life today.

Didn't take too long. I was out of there in 45 minutes.

There are a lot reasons to donate.
One is that I can. I am healthy enough to donate. No HIV, no Hepatitis C (or A and B for that matter). Weight and Blood Pressure within the good limits.

Another reason is that there is a huge need for donated blood. For surgery and for emergencies the demand is high. And it can save a life.

Anther reason is that it helps me. Studies have shown that donors are healthier than non- donors. Doctors think it has to do with getting rid of excess iron in the system. Maybe those old bleeders (barbers) were on to something back in the 16th and 17th century.

Still another reason is that the person who gets my blood can do absolutely nothing to thank me. It is totally anonymous. I can do something for someone who I will probably never meet but who needs my help.

It's pretty cool.

I saved a life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment