Thursday, February 19, 2009

Water Bottle

On Tuesday, the Print Shop had an open house to show off a bunch of new equipment and processes. I send pallets and pallets of paper there every month.

I went over to see a couple of paper vendors that I do a lot of business with and I picked up some samples of various products that they sell.

The next day my guys went over to do the morning pick up and delivery and the Print Shop people gave them some stuff the vendors had left for our department. I got a nice notebook.

Later that day one of my guys was showing me all the other stuff he had got. There was a really dumb paper car (dust collector) that made noise and a really cool stainless steel water bottle.

I instantly thought "Where is mine?" although I didn't say anything. Other thoughts ran through my mind like: " I do a ton of business with those guys, why didn't I get a water bottle too?" and "What if one of the guys swiped mine?"

I was kind of steamed for a bit.

Until I realized something: ITS ONLY A STUPID WATER BOTTLE!

And it was not a big deal. I can go buy one if I need one. And I don't need one.

I was not slighted in this and if I was so what?

See, all too often we covet junk just for junk's sake. I am just as guilty (if not more so) as everyone else. But I need to learn to be content with everything. And I need to rejoice with my guys that they got a nice gift.

So I repented of my greed in this matter and I hope that I learned my lesson (probably not though, I seem to be a pretty slow learner in some things.

And Father's day is in June so I can add a stainless steel water bottle to my wish list.

And I'll be happy with just a card.

No comments:

Post a Comment