Monday, January 26, 2009

Living Water: Lessons from Esau

The next chapter of Living Water by Brother Yun is Lessons from Esau.

I hadn't thought too much of Esau as having lessons for me before now.
I always thought that Esau was one of those Old Testament stories that is nice to read about how Jacob stole Esau's inheritance.

Brother Yun points out that there are lessons to be learned.

The Bible says that Esau: "despised his birthright" (Genesis 25:34).

This relates to us today. God has given us a tremendous gift of eternal life. And yet all too often I despise it for a "bowl of stew."

Esau wanted that bowl of stew to satisfy his own desires, his immediate needs of the flesh. When I satisfy the immediate needs of my flesh at the expense of my walk with God, I am doing the same thing as Esau.

There are so many stories in the news of Christian leaders who have given into the immediate needs of the flesh and been caught at it. Their testimony is damaged and the world's view of the church suffers for it. In fact, many times it seems as if the world takes glee at the downfall of the Christian.

And while we often think of the needs of the flesh as being sexual, it is not always true. Our "bowl of stew" may be prestige, food, money, toys, sleep, golf, career or any other thing that we put between us and God's call for our lives.

Brother Yun points out that "it is only the grace of God that can help and train us to overcome temptation." This is so easy to forget. I too often try to do things in my own strength and ability because after all, I am an American Man. I have an image to uphold.

And the other thing I take away from this is not only can I lose my way but churches and nations can lose their way. Churches trade their birthright to be Politically Correct instead of being Christ Correct. Or making people be comfortable instead of confronting them with the truth of the Gospel. Or of being the biggest or the most popular.

I must remember I have to let go and let God be God. For no matter what structures and rules I put in place they will fail me unless I am relying on God's grace to get me through the trials and temptations that I don't have to look very far to see.

And I must always take heed lest I fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment