Saturday, January 10, 2009

Negotiable

Went to the Sport and Boat show today.

First time we have been there. Very interesting.

We didn't look at any boats but we did see every RV they had in the place. We also wandered all the aisles and picked up a lot of literature.

Loralie had an interesting conversation with a sales rep from a resort town down in Arkansas. This woman was encouraging people to sign up (and pay) for a vacation package. This package included a couple of shows and lodging and a voucher for meals and you have to attend a sales meeting but it is not like those sales meetings at the other vacation spot to the Northwest.

The woman said that the package was normally $198 but the shopw special was a $139. Not bad. But since the attendance at the show was down, her boss had just called and told them to offer the package for $98. Tempting.

But I don't want to be tied into going to Arkansas sometime in the next year and I don't to lose $98. And it wasn't in the budget. And I don't want to hear a sales pitch for a time share or a condo.

So Loralie told her "no." And the woman immediately asked if we would do it for $89.

Again we said no and walked off.

What struck me about this after the fact is that it now appears the whole thing is negotiable. I don't know how low they would go.

Simply saying no would have saved us $10 if we were interested. I don't know what we could have gotten the package for if we persisted.

But I do know that I don't want to spend $5 on a vacation where I have to listen to a sales pitch.
Just isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment