Thursday, January 8, 2009

Norwegian Blood

Twice today I have been reminded about Norwegian blood.

The first was an article about a woman in Duluth, Minnesota who fell and couldn't get up. She ended up crawling to her car but couldn't get up to get into it. So she lay in the driveway in subfreezing temperatures for over four hours.

Her body temperature dropped to 60 degrees (Fahrenheit) before it was all said and done. She will be fine after incredible efforts from the doctors.

The other reminder was talking with my daughter where I reminded her that she has Norwegian blood flowing in her veins. I grew up thinking that there is a stoicism that goes with that heritage. You don't want to get too excited about anything because people might think you are getting too uppity.

It is the classic Garrison Keillor portrayal of the Norwegian American.

Humility is part of it as well as enduring hardship without complaint and thriving on your won efforts.

Modesty also comes into play for if you toot your own horn you "don't know your place."

There is a problem with all this: it makes it difficult to ask for help when you need it. If I ask for help I am weak. Which is a load of crap! Part of living is being in community with others and helping others when they need it. Part of living is having the courage to ask for help and giving others the chance to help us.

I am reminded of the life expectancy of the mountain men of the 19th century. These men often had a string of horses and supplies with them but most were lucky to make it out of their 30's. Many lived alone and had to do everything themselves. There was no one to share the burdens of just living with them. So many died young. (Of course I know there were exceptions to this generalization so you don't need to point them out to me.)

But if anything I have to remind myself daily that I live in community with others and not in a vacuum. I need that community to truly live and help others to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment