Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Living Water: Repentence 2

First time today on the book Living Water by Brother Yun.

It was interesting to see how different guys are impacted by different sections of the book.

I think it is the Holy Spirit at work.

Some thought it was interesting that a Lutheran missionary in China was so "hard core" in telling others to repent. Others were impacted by different sections of the chapter.

Others thought that grace is so preached much that we lose sight of actually working for the Lord. This really hit home. As a Lutheran, we are taught that we are saved by the blood of Christ and that He foreknew who was chosen before the world began. In effect: we have absolutely nothing to do with our salvation.

So that begs the question: Where does repentance come in to Lutheran theology? And I am not sure so sure that I can answer that. And to be honest, I am not sure that I really care that much. Because I am not concerned with Lutheran theology, I am concerned with theology. That means that I am more concerned with what the Bible says rather than what a denomination says.

You see there are all these rules and structures that are put in place to prop up and justify our form of worship and a lot of these tend to divide us into groups and separate us from other believers. Don't get me wrong though, I do not think that there is one religion that has a lock on salvation. Religion is the man made structure we put in place to worship.

It is the doing.

And Christ is about done.

No church can save me.

I do not have eternal life through a church I have it through Christ's death on the cross.

And it is not enough to believe (after all even the demons believe), I have to turn from my sins and repent.

And this is an action that I have to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment