Sunday, January 11, 2009

One Minute Religion

In a syndicated article, Duke Helfond of the Los Angles Times examined the proliferation of books designed for short term interaction with God.

With names like the One Minute Bible and One Minute Prayers From the Bible, these books offer spiritual guidance on the fly.

And it is not just limited to Christianity, there are quick hit books for the Buddhist and other religions as well.

I have a problem with this approach to spirituality. While I can see the need for a quick dip during a busy day for spiritual refreshment and guidance, the temptation tends to using such guides exclusively without deeper study and reflection.

Relationships are developed through time spent with another person. God wants us to have a relationship with him and this relationship goes deeper than a text message. By spending time in the book that God wrote that we can learn more about Him and His plan for us. Quick hits from truncated and abridged passages only lead to shallowness and misunderstanding just as text messages and IM chats leave a lot of room for misinterpretation.

I am reminded also that a conversation is a two way street. I can't just tell God my problems, I have to take the time to listen to what he is telling me. Without that I am just looking for confirmation that I am right and not looking for direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment